Welcome to DMF!
To join the discussion & for more content, log in or register here!


Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
 

Topic: Toby Whithouse on Being Human revival

Post Info
DMF
Status: Offline
Posts: 16398
Date:
Toby Whithouse on Being Human revival
Permalink  
 

I'm sure we have all seen this comment from Lord Toby on a Being Human revival, but thought we could discuss it here!



We all know shows that have outstayed their welcome, or been cynically resurrected. No-one would thank me - least of all the Being Human fans - if I went back with anything other than a stunning and revolutionary idea. Anything less would demean the show. And I haven't had that idea.



We could all come up with a "stunning and revolutionary idea", right Molonians?

 

Digital Spy

Den Of Geek

Cultbox



__________________

Fan Site | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Youtube

 

Damiac
Status: Offline
Posts: 3581
Date:
Permalink  
 

After the thing at the BFI Lord Toby told me that one of the ideas that they had for s5 was that Hal, Tom and Alex switched their 'curses' and that Alex became a vampire (I think he said they never figured out which way round Hal and Tom should be).  I don't have any bright ideas,  but I think Alex would be a fantastic vampire, and would I love to see Hal as a werewolf - temporarily.. He would be soooo distressed by it...but at the same time he would no longer be under the constant control of the bloodlust - it would be a more easily managable condition.  A really interesting transformation......... Not that I've given any thought to Toby's comment!



__________________

".....he'll be with you while you dream"

Molonian
Status: Offline
Posts: 914
Date:
Permalink  
 
The comments from the links are interesting. Particularly the one that says that "Damien Molony is the greatest Doctor Who we never had!"

__________________

A terrible beauty!

Damiac
Status: Offline
Posts: 3581
Date:
Permalink  
 

Pearl - that strikes me as a bit final! As if the possibilty has passed and there is no future for one or the other.....

My favourite comment about this came from whimsy on twitter - which also referenced Dr Who....something about Being Human being resurrectable like Dr Who 'but with less timey-wimey stuff and more death and heartache' (sorry if that's an appauling mis-quote whimsy!)

I think that most of the die-hard fans would take a BH revival in whatever form it came....most of us just want the characters back on our screens - the story-lines are secondary to the personalities and relationships.  I can't really see it happening and if it did return I guess it would inevitabley be with different characters...but I'd take that!  Tho the whole 500 years of Hal spin off has been talked about a lot and I ache to see that on my tv.... or as a film.....



__________________

".....he'll be with you while you dream"

Damiac
Status: Offline
Posts: 1970
Date:
Permalink  
 

There is not much I want more than to have Damien Molony back on my screen as Hal.  Maybe to be independently wealthy and never have to work again.  That's about all I can think that I would rather have that doesn't defy the laws of the universe. 



__________________

"I should have left a clue. Like, I don't know, locking him in a cellar and tying him to a fucking radiator!"

Molonian
Status: Offline
Posts: 914
Date:
Permalink  
 
An explanation regarding how he went from "being born in a brothel" and "fighting in the Battle of Orsa" to becoming "Lord Henry Yorke" complete with red shield, wouldn't come amiss!

__________________

A terrible beauty!

DMF
Status: Offline
Posts: 16398
Date:
Permalink  
 
Fifi I rememebr you mentioning Toby's comment on the trio switching up before, now that IS a revolutionary idea! I could see DaMo werewolfing-out spectacularly! But... I just want more Hal, in all his glorious multidimensional facets! halyes

Agree fully that the total love for BH was never about the spectacular, or the revolutionary, but about the characters and their relationship to each other (and the world). There does need to be a backdrop though... but the beauty of supernatural drama is it is pretty much unlimited.

If the series format was not going to be resurrected, a film would be awesome! I am still open to the idea of crossovers as well, as our 3 went off to save the world they might bump into the US BH characters....

Have always loved the idea of a Hal spinoff.... halyes



__________________

Fan Site | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Youtube

 

Molonian
Status: Offline
Posts: 914
Date:
Permalink  
 
Oh, yes! I think that "The Life and Times of Lord Henry Yorke" would be great! It wouldn't have to last 500 years though.

__________________

A terrible beauty!

Professional Thud-er
Status: Offline
Posts: 3591
Date:
Permalink  
 
fifi wrote:

My favourite comment about this came from whimsy on twitter - which also referenced Dr Who....something about Being Human being resurrectable like Dr Who 'but with less timey-wimey stuff and more death and heartache' (sorry if that's an appauling mis-quote whimsy!)

I think that most of the die-hard fans would take a BH revival in whatever form it came....most of us just want the characters back on our screens - the story-lines are secondary to the personalities and relationships.  I can't really see it happening and if it did return I guess it would inevitabley be with different characters...but I'd take that!  Tho the whole 500 years of Hal spin off has been talked about a lot and I ache to see that on my tv.... or as a film.....


fifi yup that's just about what I Tweeted! Though not sure my meaning came through in 140 characters... What I meant is that because there are 500 yrs of Hal's existence to explore, it would be like Doctor Who in that the writers could jump back 'n forth in and out of whatever time period they were inspired to write (surely that would take care of the "stunning/revolutionary" idea Lord Toby is looking for - he can come up with lots of things for Hal's backstories) but less timey-wimey in that it isn't sci-fi/space & time travel. The death and heartache is self explanatory...  

Absolutely for me and I'm sure you all agree, it's the characters I fell in love with, their struggles, their friendships, their heartaches and triumphs (however small and temporary).  I want more of them, not some huge apocalyptic story arch. I would gobble up more Being Human in whatever shape or form it came, though if it were new characters I wouldn't be as excited about it. At least, I'm sure, until I actually watched it and who knows I might find someone new to obsess about... BUT really I'm selfish and what I crave is Hal. Good Hal. Bad Hal. Human Hal. Vampire Hal. Post S5 Hal with Alex and Tom.  Pre S4 Hal with Pearl and Leo. Human Hal, Orsha, becoming an Old One, all the vampires he's sired, all his conquests. I want to see what happened when Lady Mary did not go through her door. I want to see him in love with Sylvie. Did he know Ivan, or Herrick, or Mitchell? (Mitchell seems unlikely as he never mentioned anything to Annie, but who knows, he keeps so many secrets)

Sorry, I'm getting carried away...

 



__________________

papillon... pamplemousse... bibliothèque... un baiser
A lilt in his voice.  Every sentence like music...
#kisskisskiss 
A terrible beauty is born.
Love me some #Jacksass

DMF
Status: Offline
Posts: 16398
Date:
Permalink  
 
Pearl24 wrote:

Oh, yes! I think that "The Life and Times of Lord Henry Yorke" would be great! It wouldn't have to last 500 years though.


 500 years would do me nicely Pearl.  Of course I'd need to be a vampire first to live that long to enjoy it....



__________________

Fan Site | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Youtube

 

Damiac
Status: Offline
Posts: 3581
Date:
Permalink  
 

Yes Yes Yes.  Yes.....to everything!

Whimsy - Hal absolutely did know Ivan and Daisy!  I'm sure Fergus mentioned Ivan as one of the vampires who was scared of Hal in the 1855 flashback.  And at the end of ep3 s4 - when Regus and Michaela are leaving HH - Hal asks Annie if she'd ever met Ivan and Daisy....

If Being Human came back with different characters I would absolutely take that.  I didn't think it could survive Mitchell and George leaving, but it so did!  I have faith in Toby that he could create a set of new characters for me to fall in love with.  But that doesn't detract from how much I will always regret that Hal, Tom and Alex never got the opportunity to just hang out together in the same way that Mitchell, George and Annie did.  I would love to have had the opportunity to watch their relationships develop...see them watching tv together...going to the pub etc.  They so needed at least one more series together - especially as Alex only joined at the end of s4 and s5 was so full on...

And all of that is something completely aside from how much I want to see more Hal.  In any form...



__________________

".....he'll be with you while you dream"

Damiac
Status: Offline
Posts: 1232
Date:
Permalink  
 
Love this thread! I do think that in some ways Lord Toby doesn't really want to bring the show back because he doesn't want to ruin it. But yeh there are so many possibilities for where the show could go. Look at other supernatural shows such as buffy or supernatural, they took loads of different angles and kept going for ages and they just got better and better as I'm sure being human would!

The Hal spin off would be amazing though. And the flashback potential for bringing back all the old characters and guest characters is definitely there! Hopefully at some point Lord Toby will see sense 😂

__________________

Sooner or later, we all go back to being the monsters we truly are!

 

Functioning Halcoholic
Status: Offline
Posts: 304
Date:
Permalink  
 
fifi wrote:

Yes Yes Yes.  Yes.....to everything!

Whimsy - Hal absolutely did know Ivan and Daisy!  I'm sure Fergus mentioned Ivan as one of the vampires who was scared of Hal in the 1855 flashback.  And at the end of ep3 s4 - when Regus and Michaela are leaving HH - Hal asks Annie if she'd ever met Ivan and Daisy....

If Being Human came back with different characters I would absolutely take that.  I didn't think it could survive Mitchell and George leaving, but it so did!  I have faith in Toby that he could create a set of new characters for me to fall in love with.  But that doesn't detract from how much I will always regret that Hal, Tom and Alex never got the opportunity to just hang out together in the same way that Mitchell, George and Annie did.  I would love to have had the opportunity to watch their relationships develop...see them watching tv together...going to the pub etc.  They so needed at least one more series together - especially as Alex only joined at the end of s4 and s5 was so full on...

And all of that is something completely aside from how much I want to see more Hal.  In any form...


Oh, balls...I've got an old fic on my desktop with a games-playing trio...well, sort of. Close enough, anyway.

Fine. I'll dust if off. Sigh... ;)



__________________

You can do this. You can do this. You can do this.

Damiac
Status: Offline
Posts: 2016
Date:
Permalink  
 
Oh if this show would come back.. I would welcome it with open arms, no matter who would be innit!

__________________

I want to give Hal some Kia-Ora

Professional Thud-er
Status: Offline
Posts: 3591
Date:
Permalink  
 

Hal: Do you know Ivan and Daisy?

Annie: Now there's a thought.

*facepalm*

How could I blank on that?  I'm only human though and don't have vampire memory.  Only one thing for it.  Rewatch time.



__________________

papillon... pamplemousse... bibliothèque... un baiser
A lilt in his voice.  Every sentence like music...
#kisskisskiss 
A terrible beauty is born.
Love me some #Jacksass

 
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Chatbox

Please log in to join the chat!












Copyright 2012 - 2024 Damien Molony Forum All Rights Reserved.